In fellowship with my brothers and sisters in the Emmaus Community of St Benedict, I will keep the following Rule of Life each day:
- Set aside time each day for prayer*, including prayer for family and friends, for ECSB brothers and sisters, for the Church and for the world;
- Read from scripture or from some other sacred or spiritual text;
- Do something for someone else;
- Do something for my own self: body, mind or spirit;
- Treat my family life and my daily work as my main Christian ministries;
- Seek the holy in everyday tasks and duties;
- Try to see Christ in everyone I meet.
*Prayer may include daily office, lectio divina, the examen, as well as extemporary prayers through the day.
As a daily prayer to unite us in our common life, we say the following prayer of St Benedict daily:
Gracious and holy Father,
please give me:
A mind to understand you;
reason to discern you;
diligence to seek you;
wisdom to find you;
a spirit to know you;
a heart to meditate upon you;
ears to hear you;
eyes to see you;
a tongue to proclaim you;
a way of life pleasing to you;
patience to wait for you;
and perseverance to look for you.
a perfect end,
your holy presence,
a blessed resurrection,
and life everlasting. Amen.